Addressing the challenges of the low-carbon energy transition
25 August 2017
ERM is at the forefront of helping our clients to assess and address the challenges of decarbonization.
We work with governments, corporations, financial and public institutions around the world to advance the low-carbon energy transition.
Global energy transition
The global energy transition is well underway, with the rise of low-carbon technologies and policies. But the shift to lower carbon energy will need to accelerate rapidly, if the world is to keep global warming within a 2oC rise. While governments pursue effective pathways to reduce their carbon emissions in the decades ahead, businesses seek commercial solutions to decarbonize their corporate and financial portfolios.
The challenges: for governments, corporations, financial and public institutions
ERM understands the challenges for governments, corporations and institutions to decarbonize across the energy, technology and industrial sectors. Our approach has been tried and tested with the G20 Financial Stability Board in assessing the challenges: shifting global market and consumer demand; shaping effective low-carbon policy and regulation; addressing technical, reputational and legal risks; and preparing for potential changes in climate and its impact on business, the economy and society-at-large.
The opportunities: ERM support for decarbonization
We have worked with organizations around the world in their response to the energy transition - from advising on climate-related strategy and policy, to delivering board to asset level responses to climate change. Our work entails:
- Feasibility assessment of new technologies (e.g. hydrogen for transport and heating)
- Regulatory advisory support for low-carbon policy frameworks (e.g. CCS policy)
- Assessment of financial risks from the energy transition (e.g. G20 TCFD)
- Operational excellence (e.g. energy efficiency planning)
- Corporate transition strategy development and implementation (e.g. science-based targets)
- Portfolio diversification into lower-carbon energies (e.g. renewables deployment, heat pumps, etc)
Download ERM's update on addressing the challenges of the low-carbon energy transition