Renewable Energy Development on Tribal Lands
4 - 5 February 2016
Natural Resource Group (an ERM Group company) is partnering with EUCI to sponsor the upcoming Renewable Energy on Tribal Lands Conference in Anaheim, California on February 4 & 5, 2016.
Join us for a two-day conference providing an overview of the complex legal, business and policy issues regarding developing renewable energy projects on tribal lands. Building a project on tribal or Indian country lands is not a traditional development process, and presents legal and cultural complexities that require special consideration and due diligence.
You will hear perspectives from Tribal governments, federal and state governments, industry professionals and consultants.
- Examine key considerations when designing tribal projects to improve feasibility
- Tribal community economic development
- Taking advantage of grants and energy marketplace trends
- Grid access considerations/making generation available to the market
- Assess risks/opportunities of active vs. passive tribal participation in energy transactions
- Gain awareness of how to structure an accurate financial energy development model
- Identify unique legal issues that arise when doing business in Indian country
- Describe current legislation and policy
- Examine best strategies for optimizing success on the development path
- Recognize cultural complexities of tribal engagement and practical tips for successful business transactions
- Gain awareness of special land considerations, customs and land use practices
- Examine technology, installation and equipment development considerations
- Review challenges and successes of utility-scale tribal project case studies
- Examine tribal distributed generation project case studies
- Identify Tribal energy feasibility initiatives for geothermal and hydro
Learn more about this event
Why Natural Resource Group/ERM is participating
Our services for the Energy Sector are designed to assist the industry in responding to a range of challenges. Our in-depth understanding of regulatory issues regarding the siting and development of renewable energy development projects throughout the United States allows us to successfully manage the compliance effort for energy projects. In addition, we have developed a particular expertise in supporting our client’s efforts to successfully and sustainably work with American Indian Tribes on energy development projects.
Natural Resource Group/ERM at the Conference
Natural Resource Group and ERM will share its insights gained from recent involvement with a variety of interesting projects. Both companies have a long history and broad reputation for thought leadership within the energy sector and will be avid participants at the conference.
- Jon Berkin, a Partner/Principal in Natural Resource Group’s Minneapolis office, will be participating in a panel discussion regarding Conflict Resolution and Management with Tribal Communities
- Nikki Payne, a Senior Project Engineer in ERM’s Irvine Office, who consults regularly for renewable energy clients around the country, will be attending the conference
Natural Resource Group Speaker
Jon Berkin is a Principal/Partner in the Minneapolis office of Natural Resource Group. He specializes in managing federal and state environmental permitting for largescale energy infrastructure projects. He has over 20 years of environmental permitting experience for energy projects throughout the lower 48 states and Alaska, including numerous energy projects on Tribal lands. He has extensive experience working with American Indian Tribes and is a frequent presenter on the topics of regulatory compliance, dispute resolution, and consultation issues at industry conferences and workshops.