Dow Southern Africa (Pty) Ltd, (Dow), previously known as Dow Advanced Materials, intends increasing the production capacity at their New Germany site through the proposed Dow Polyurethane Systems House (PUSH) Expansion project. The proposed expansion allows for the inclusion of the following above-ground infrastructure: a 50m3 storage tank; a 20m3 Isotainer on site; a 10m3 blender and associated support infrastructure (eg. Pipelines, chiller and hot box for regulation of temperature of raw materials etc.). The infrastructure is for the manufacture and storage of Polyol raw materials and product.
Dow has an Atmospheric Emission License (AEL) that was issued by eThekwini Municipality. The proposed expansion activity necessitates that the AEL amendment request must be lodged with the Licensing Authority at eThekwini Municipality (i.e. for any proposed changes in the process or production rates). The competent authority is the provincial Department of Economic Development Tourism and Environmental Affairs (DEDTEA). The Project will require Environmental Authorisation through a Basic Assessment (BA) in terms of the National Environment Management Act, 1998 (Act No. 107 of 1998) (NEMA) as amended, as the following listed activities are triggered:
- LN 1 (2017), Activity 34: The expansion of existing facilities or infrastructure for any process or activity where such expansion will result in the need for a permit or licence or an amended permit or licence in terms of national or provincial legislation governing the release of emissions, effluent or pollution.
- LN 1 (2017), Activity 51: The expansion and related operation of facilities for the storage, or storage and handling, of a dangerous good, where the capacity of such storage facility will be expanded by more than 80 cubic metres.
Notice is hereby given that the Draft Basic Assessment Report is available to the public for comment for a period of 33 days, commencing 22 March 2019 until 23 April 2019. The Report can be accessed as follows:
- At the following public locations:
- New Germany Library, 90 Shepstone Rd, New Germany, Durban, 3610.
- Pinetown Library, 67 Josiah Gumede Rd, Pinetown, Durban 3620.
- ERM Durban, 17 The Boulevard, Westway Office Park, Durban, 3630.
- Dow Southern Africa, 8 Schafer Road, New Germany, Durban, 3610.
Stakeholders are invited to submit comments on the Draft Basic Assessment Report on or before 23 April 2019 to ERM:
- Email: DowNewGermany@erm.com
- Tel: 031 265 0033
- Physical Address: ERM. 17 The Boulevard, Westway Office Park, Westville.
Draft Basic Assessment Report
1. Dow Draft Basic Assessment Reportpdf
2.Annex A - Details of BAR Team.pdf
3.Annex B - EMPr.pdf
4.Annex C - Stakeholder Engagement.pdf
5.Annex D - Specialist Study.pdf