Decommissioning, Decontamination & Demolition
All operational plants and equipment come to an end of their useful or economic lives. As market demands and industry practices evolve, companies need to upgrade or retire less efficient facilities and legacy sites to facilitate growth and innovation.
When organizations decommission or demolish sites, they need to recover the latent value in the retired assets, and also address environmental and safety risks that can come from expired materials or residues and facility deterioration.
From conception to completion
ERM takes a phased approach to site redevelopment or closure. From risk characterization and asset valuation to the turnkey management of a project, our comprehensive offering helps to reduce risks, minimize impacts, control costs, manage scheduling, and unlock residual value.
As part of the decontamination phase, we remove or neutralize residual hazards from systems, surfaces, and structures and provide documented proof of the site's status for regulators and potential buyers. If demolition is required, structures are removed with due regard for proper material handling techniques and materials are safely disposed of or recycled.
ERM ensures that all contractors involved in DDD activities are carefully selected and managed to maintain a safe working environment and avoid escalating costs.
ERM’s DDD Services help our clients:
- Provide a safe work environment;
- Assess the true cost of the effort;
- Understand the value of the assets;
- Avoid cost growth through detailed specifications;
- Select cost-competitive and safe bidders;
- Identify financially capable contractors that can bond the full effort;
- Define detailed specifications that require training certifications and safe work practices while providing contractor control;
- Control how assets and wastes are managed; and
- Collect, maintain, and provide documentation of efforts completed on site.
Protecting people and the planet
By applying ERM’s experience and expertise, companies can effectively recover the value of assets while protecting human health and safeguarding local ecosystems. Our phased and pragmatic approach consistently meets both regulatory obligations and stakeholder expectations.
ERM focuses on cost controls and safe delivery of projects, so that legacy sites can be retired, refurbished, and quickly marketed allowing companies to realize optimum value from their investments.