Companies with environmentally contaminated sites face significant regulatory, financial and reputational risks. Successfully managing large sites across multiple jurisdictions cost effectively eludes even the most well managed companies.
Whether it involves long-term monitoring, active remediation, or working towards closure, the cleanup and management of contaminated sites is complex and costly. Even organizations with well-established remediation management systems and processes frequently experience increased costs due to unanticipated issues.
Managing these sites is challenging for a number of reasons:
- Changing or unclear regulations
- Changes in ownership
- Financial constraints
- Technically complex chemicals
- Dynamic groundwater conditions
As a result of this complexity, some liabilities remain a constant issue - as illustrated by the reserves held on company balance sheets year after year - despite considerable effort and investment.
To safeguard compliance and asset value, organizations need to take a proactive approach to contaminated sites that enables them to safely eliminate, reduce or transfer associated liabilities while also communicating progress with relevant stakeholders.
Proven strategies and systems
ERM is a world leader in helping global companies address their most challenging contaminated sites throughout the entire remediation lifecycle. For over 40 years we have supported leading companies across the globe develop pragmatic remediation strategies and execute them cost effectively.
We support our clients with a range of unique capabilities:
- A proven portfolio management approach that prioritizes and sequences a company’s remediation sites to manage cash flow, minimize net present value of expenses, meet regulatory requirements, and/or optimize operational performance – depending on desired business outcomes;
- In-depth knowledge of toxicology combined with global regulatory experience allowing us to develop and defend realistic, risk-based cleanup goals;
- Advanced remedial technologies, including thermal remediation, in situ stabilization, oxidation, and bio-remediation;
- Insight into emerging regulations and contaminants to help clients proactively manage current and potential future liabilities;
- Use of decision analytic tools, such as Net Environmental Benefits Analysis (NEBA), to evaluate the environmental costs of intensive remediation alternatives with less invasive and more cost-effective options;
- Advanced data management and analysis tools, including environmental visualization, EQuIS (Environmental Quality Information System), GIS data management, and analytic element groundwater modeling;
- Environmental liability management, including litigation support and expert testimony for Natural Resource Damage (NRD) claims; and
- Extensive benchmarking of key performance indicators, reserve processes, and portfolio reviews to help companies leverage the best practices and successful outcomes of their industry peers.
Capturing value, reducing risk
ERM helps organizations capture value from their asset portfolios by effectively managing and mitigating their contaminated sites.
We focus on end-use, working closely with clients and developers to tailor remedial strategies to suit the potential transfer and future use of their sites or to develop productive reuse strategies.
By working with ERM, organizations can assess and address potential liabilities, satisfy regulatory obligations, and optimize capital and operating expenditures to protect their bottom line.