SPE International Conference on Health, Safety & Environment
19 March 2014
For more than 20 years, the SPE International Conference on Health, Safety, and the Environment has been the E&P industry’s premier international event highlighting HSE best practices and challenges. But their main goal is to reach beyond the industry by introducing relatable presentations, special topical sessions, and networking opportunities that can't be found anywhere else.
This year’s theme was “The Journey Continues,” and the event welcomed more than 1,700 health, safety, and environment professionals, working in and beyond the oil and gas sector, to sunny southern California for this biennial event.
Learn more about the SPE International Conference on Health, Safety, and the Environment
ERM at the conference
ERM is a global consultancy that helps oil and gas companies effectively address their full spectrum of strategic and operational challenges. We assist our clients with maximizing their efficiency and mitigating environmental, operational, and social risks. We work with our clients on the following:
- Market entry issues such as due diligence and greenfields
- Delivery of capital projects on time and on budget while retaining a social license to operate
- Performance optimization, particularly with regard to health and safety issues
- Planning for the retirement of assets
- Development of strategies for managing risk across the business and project lifecycles
- Development of skills, capability and competency, to have the right people doing the right things in the right places
Since oil and gas is ERM’s largest serviced sector, we have established a breadth of expertise and experience across this industry. ERM actively supported SPE during the International Conference on Health, Safety and Environment, sharing our insights for addressing global sustainability challenges. Our senior strategic advisors and technical experts spoke at this event on a range of topics including:
- What Should Keep Line Management Up at Night?
- Using Established Programs and Processes to Transform HSE Performance
- Managing the Alignment and Harmonization of HSE Standards and Practices
- Indigenous Peoples: Inclusive Engagement for Social License to Operate
- Maximizing Safety Case Value for Meaningful Workforce Engagement
- Understanding the ALARP Concept
- Onshore Exploration and Production Audit Programs
- Sensitive and Marine Environments
- Monitoring Programs to Support Marine Spill Response
One significant challenge is managing risk associated with increasingly complex technology in an evolving regulatory environment. Today’s business and societal expectations do not accommodate mistakes. As part of the discussion around this challenge, we held a roundtable on Thursday, 20 March 2014, for a small group of clients. The roundtable focused on Process Safety Best Practices and Beyond: Strengthening your Safety Case to Engage the Workforce.